Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Tough Side of Parenting

My family members' lives have been turned upside down lately. 

Daddy lives in a different house and we only see him on the weekends.  He is a VERY involved father so I feel the extra load and my kids have a missing piece to their daily puzzle.

My sweet, tired, ill mama went home to be with our Lord one week ago today.  We spent many days (and nights) in the hospital waiting room, while my kids spent many days (and nights) with my in-laws.  Bless them! She was my mama, but one of my little boy's favorite people.  Man, do we miss her.

We travel every weekend, where we sleep in a different bed every time. 

We have a new church home (that we love!), with new church members which means a new Sunday School teacher and nursery workers.



Some days it takes everything in me to drag my body out of bed, crawl through the day, limp home and tell myself "You get to do this again tomorrow!". 



I understand when my laid back boy throws the major tantrums that make my skin crawl, because sometimes I want to throw one too.

I understand Kennedy bawling her head off when I leave her, because I want to go bawl my head off even though I know she'll be fine in 5 minutes.

I understand when Jackson pees the bed 6 nights in a row after he's been potty trained (without ONE pull-up) for a whole year.  (This one, I have no connection to thankfully.)

My life is different than it's been...ever.  Thankfully I haven't felt the sting of judgment too many times, but I'm pretty sure I've inflicted it before without knowing her story.  My story is now different, therefore my kids' story is different. 

As we raise two kiddos, an almost 4 year old and a 1 year old, we're getting into the tough side of parenting.  Jackson didn't get to play his DS, watch Power Rangers or eat his cookie that he cried and had an F-I-T over last night.  Kennedy got her hand lightly swatted when she kept splashing in Wrigley's water bowl after being told "No".  She cried with her head on the floor, and my heart hurt that I had to leave her there.  Don't worry...Jackson got his cookie this morning.

But, I'm doing the best I can.   

So, I'm sorry for looking at your screaming child and tsking you.  I know you're doing your best too. 

And that's OKAY.  We'll get through this, you and me, parents of great kids who are just having a bad day or a rough go.  They're learning how to be big people and you know what?  So are we.

1 comment:

  1. So beautiful and so true that it brought tears to my eyes. It is amazing how often parents judge each other when we are all just doing the best we can. Sending lots of prayers and love your way during this difficult time in your lives....

    ReplyDelete