Sunday, September 4, 2011

Chick Food

Jeremy and I often discuss chick food vs "man" food.  Honestly, I like both. Him, he wants the "man" food...steak and potatoes, baby!  Why is it called "chick food"?  Is it because it's usually pretty? dainty? light? (ha ha!) small portions?  (oh please!)  Maybe all of the above.  But maybe we dubbed it that so we would have an excuse to get together with other "chickies" and talk...while eating of course!

I had a chicken salad croissant, potato soup and salad from a local eatery this past week and it got me thinking.  While we ate and discussed how DELISH it was, I started relaxing.  As much as I love my husband, I am sure the dear man would not even attempt a taste test of the fabulous chicken salad croissant.  It WAS pretty.  It WAS dainty.  It WAS light.  And yes, it was even TINY portions.  But the company was great.  Ahhhhh....

The next day Jackson and I went with a church friend and her son to Silver Dollar City.  While the boys played in the backseat, we attempted to hold "chick-like" conversations.  (The boys had helium balloons and Hot Wheel cars.  Enough said about the "attempt" part.)  Do I even need to tell you what they consisted of?  I thought not.  Anyway, our whole day was spent chasing three year olds and talking.  We solved the world's problems!   Ahhhhh.....

Today we got to eat lunch with our Sunday dinner crew, which today was just half.  I got to pick a retired teacher's mind and once again, solve the world's problems.  Ahhhhh...

Tomorrow, we get to have a play date with great friends while the men smoke "men food"  (brisket), the kids spend hours in our new play room and the ladies?  You got it...solve the world's problems.  Ahhhhh...

Now obviously we are  not solving the world's problems, but we are decreasing our stress level as we laugh, joke, cry, vent or whatever else we need to do.  These girls get it.  We've all been there or will be one day.  Girls get other girls.  There is no need for gossip, slander, or malice with these chicas, just good old fashioned "You would not believe what Jackson did!" or "Kennedy learned to clap her hands!" or "Have you tried the Mango Pineapple Smoothies at McDonald's?  YUM!" or "Could you remember me in prayer as I deal with this situation?"  We don't judge, we listen.  We don't gossip, we tell Jesus.  We don't laugh...well, okay.  You got me.

My point is that us girls NEED chick "food".  We crave other sisters who can relate to our situation, our feelings, our hearts.  God love a good man, but even THEY want us to take our "chick food" to another gal sometimes.  We're all in this together.  Love on a sister this week.  Let her bear her soul if needed.  Or better yet, find someone you can bear your soul to.  Grab a chicken salad croissant and a Diet Coke and come on over.  I'm game!

4 comments:

  1. So true. Sometimes it is a friend, mama or sister.God will give us extra strength to share with others. Maybe all they need is an ear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just joined as a follower so hopefully my comments aren't anonymous anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome Mama! Your name popped up so no more "anonymous" mama! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh so true! A good conversation with a girlfriend is food for the soul:)

    ReplyDelete