Friday, December 16, 2011

Christmas Blessings

My yearly ritual of sending Christmas cards makes me a little giddy.  I make myself wait until after Thanksgiving, but rarely much longer.  Dare I say I enjoy this task more than any other?  Probably.

Usually I have a thought that keeps rolling around in my head that I feel "inspired" to share in our letter.  This year was no different.  My thought for this year was blessings, riches, etc...  I started my newsletter with a quote that said "If you ever want to feel rich, start counting all the things money can't buy."  Being cute I added "So-let me tell you how we became millionaires!"  My corniness constantly amazes me. :)  However, I was being honest!  If we measure our wealth by non-material things we've got it made! 

I then proceeded to share all the wonderful silliness that my soon-to-be one year old little girl and three and a half year old little boy bring to our days.  I caught people up on our year happenings and besides the kiddos-we're pretty boring (thankfully!).  At the end of the letter a scripture kept rolling through my mind and I honestly wasn't sure if it even fit with the whole idea of the letter, but I needed to include it.  I mean, it WAS fitting for the season! 

Isaiah 9:6 “ For to us a child is born, to us a son is given… and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,  Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. 

I never knew what was to come in just three days.  

Right before I folded, stuffed and stamped our cards, our house was robbed.  Granted, not everything was taken and the robbers could have done a lot more damage, but our home was ransacked and our sense of security was gone. My thoughts immediately went to the Christmas letter sitting on the coffee table ready to fold and stuff into envelopes with picture cards of smiling little cutie pies.  “If you ever want to feel rich, start counting all the things money can’t buy.  So-let me tell you how we became millionaires.”  Okay God.  I’m with you.  Yep, we’re still good-with or without that big screen TV, brand new laptop, jewelry box full of nice and/or sentimental pieces and other things.  We are still rich with those little blessings that made us millionaires before.  Thank you, Jesus, for your peace you place in our hearts and the reminder of what really matters.  Yes, I needed to be reminded of this. 

Praying for you and yours to find rest and comfort for the following year in THIS blessing.


 

1 comment:

  1. Worst part: loss of a sense of security. :( However, this still makes an awesome story and testimony. Linked this to the last line on my blog post. ;)

    ReplyDelete