Wednesday, April 11, 2012

That's What Friends are For

I believe God is trying to mold me into the type of friend I see around me.  He is humbling me by putting obstacles in my path where I need others.  He is showing me how to see beyond myself.

At first I thought, "Wow...these people must love me so much!  All I have to do is ask and they rescue me!"

Now I think, "Ouch...would I be so kind and giving?  I hope so.  I want to be."

For example...hmmm-where does one start?  This lesson has been repeated many times in my life. 

  • Let me start with the birth of our first son.  Our next door neighbor/dear friend that I still cling to (Bonnie, please never tire of me!) came and cleaned our house, took out the trash and even sorted the recycling while we were at the hospital!  All we asked for her to do was let out the dog!  She went above and beyond and it's something I will never forget.  She saw what needed to be done, and she did it.
  • Family has cleaned an apartment, a duplex and a house, moved our little family 3, almost 4 times in the 7 years we've been married.  That deserves a gold star!
  • Church family, friends, and real family have watched our kids whenever we need an emergency sitter. 
  • People have brought meals to our house after births, deaths, sickness, new chapters of life beginning, etc... We have been well fed!
  • Fellow teachers have graded papers, watched school kids, grabbed me a Diet Coke from Sonic "just because" or taken my lunch duty when I was SO pregnant I couldn't even waddle down the rows of tables.
  • Just this morning I had a flat tire, no husband, no tire iron and a broken jack and a friend turned around on her way to school, came back and loaded me and my two kids in her van to take us to school and the sitter.  Now she gets to drive us back home!  (You're a jewel Suzanne!)
  • Now I have an old church friend coming to my house tonight to fix my flat tire!
Honestly, my list could go on, and on, and on, and...well, you get the idea.  He is trying to teach me to step out of my comfort zone, help a friend in need without thinking of the inconveniece to my own schedule so my FRIENDS will know that they can always count on me, for sure.  Because that's what friends are for.

P.S.  I'm sorry if I'm taking a long time to learn this lesson.  I'll try to do better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment